The 5th International Training Course on UNESCO Global
Geoparks Management and Development
Earth Heritage Interpretation
and Sustainable Development
28 October – 3 November 2019, Beijing & Songshan, China
The 5th International Training Course on UNESCO Global Geoparks Management and Development, which is supported by the UNESCO Global Geoparks Secretariat & UNESCO Beijing Office, the Global Geoparks Network, the Asian Pacific Geoparks Network (APGN), and the Chinese Geoparks Network has been successfully co-organized from 28 October – 3 November, 2019 in Beijing and Dengfeng by the China University of Geosciences (Beijing), the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences and the Songshan UNESCO Global Geopark (Henan).
The course attracted 100 delegates from UNESCO Global Geoparks, aspiring geoparks, technical institutions and related companies from China, D.P.R.Korea, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Kyrgyz Republic, as well as international exchange students of CUGB from Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Benin, Cote ‘d Ivoire and Uzbeki-stan.
This course was divided into two parts, the 1st part focus on geopark management and building which hosted in Geosciences Convention Center, China University of Geosciences, Beijing.
The second part focused on the earth heritage interpretation in Museums and Visitor Centers and was hosted in Songshan UNESCO Global Geopark (Henan province) affording participants with a site inspection in Shongshan.
The presentations during the course focused on geopark building and management, geopark activities and services as well as geoheritage interpretation.
Members of Global Geoparks Network Executive Board and UNESCO Global Geoparks Council delivered presentations on Geopark concept, establishment and management, UNESCO Global Geoparks Statutes and Operational Guidelines, Global Geoparks Network structure and activities and answered questions from participants.
Presentations were made by:
• Prof. Nikolaos Zouros, GGN President, UGGp Council member, University of the Aegean, Greece.
• Prof. Jin Xiaochi; GGN Vice-President, APGN Coordinator, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences.
• Prof. Ibrahim Komoo; GGN Vice-president, APGN Vice Coordinator, University of Kebangsaan, Malaysia.
• Prof. Zhang Jianping, UGGp Council Vice-Chairperson, GGN ExB member, China University of Geosciences, Beijing.
• Dr. Kristin Rangnes, UNESCO Global Geoparks Council member, GGN ExB Treasurer amd EGN Coordinator.
• Dr. Mahito Watanabe; UNESCO Global Geoparks Council member and GGN ExB member, Geological Survey of Japan.
• Dr. Luis Alcala, GGN Expert, Dinopolis, Spain.
• Mr. Zheng Yuan, UNESCO Global Geopark Evaluator, Coordinator of China Geoparks Network, China.
• Prof. Tian Mingzhong, Geopark expert, China University of Geosciences, Beijing.
• Prof, Wu Fadong, Geopark expert, China University of Geosciences, Beijing.
• Dr. Yeung KM, Geopark expert, head of Hong Kong UNESCO Global Geopark.
The Opening Ceremony greeted by Qian Junfei, UNESCO Beijing Office, Prof. Ma Junjie, chairmen of China University of Geosciences, Beijing, Prof. Wu Zhenhan Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences Vice-President, Prof. Nickolas Zouros GGN President and Prof. Jin Xiaochi APGN Coordinator.
In addition to inspiring lectures, 5 Chinese UNESCO Global Geoparks (Songshan, Hong Kong, Huangshan, Zhangye, Xiangxi) and the Dong Van UNESCO Global Geopark of Vietnam shared their experiences.
Participants from Saudi Arabia, DPR Korea and the Longyan Aspiring Geopark of China presented their work on Geopark development.